Monday, January 9, 2012

DELUDED MUCH?



















One of the things that amuses me about Ugandans, or should I say, at least the ones I’ve encountered in my lifetime is their blatant inability to acknowledge that there is a problem. Many people have come to this country and called us the happiest people on earth. True, that’s what it looks like. The only way to understand how the Ugandan masses can turn so brutal in an instant is by knowing how we receive problematic situations or things that we do not understand.

Many of our current anti-gay figures years ago were in denial of the fact that homosexuals existed in Uganda, and now we see them everyday frothing at the mouth with uncontrollable disgust and hate towards the homosexual.

I’m currently in a similar situation with my parents. I’m sure they have an inkling about my sexuality but they however choose to ignore it and continue to bring up girlfriends and all that nonsense at the dinner table. The same is happening with my brothers who have come across messages in my phone…but they still continue to act like its all fine, well, all is fine for me, but it shouldn’t be for them. They should have come and said something by now but they continue to act like I’m interested in dating girls. Sometimes it just makes me want to scream at them! They just won’t acknowledge that there is something that needs to be accepted/dealt with.

It all goes to show the negative power of wishful thinking…the mind will believe what it wants to believe. The problem with this though is that when the truth that they’ve so desperately pushed away cannot be contained anymore, in most cases people here will react violently.

Remember the post I did back then about coming out? Remember how confident I was? Well things have happened and I’m not as confident or as delusional anymore. All I can do now is thank God for the fact that I barely live in this country now and that weeks from today I will be, once again, safe and sound in an entirely different social scene, atmosphere, world that I have now fully adapted to.

6 comments:

  1. All in good time my friend. All in good time. Whatever you do, don't stop living. My family knows there is a pink elephant in the room, and even when presented with evidence (sometimes rather concrete), they would rather not believe in the possibility of my being anything but straight. They still hope and pray that I will get married some day. They still think one of my friends is my girlfriend, even when it is so clear I can go weeks without calling or seeing her.

    Just like ourselves when we begin to discover who we are, our families prefer the solace and comfort of denial to the harsh reality of our sexuality.

    Be strong, and when they're ready, they'll come round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is SO good to have you back. You were very sadly missed!

    Sorry for the family hassle, but most have been through varied (but similar) situations—and, as they say now, "IT GETS BETTER!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words right out of my mouth,desperately waiting and counting down the days till i get to leave!

    You would think my parents would have figured the reosons am rushing the whole process....but alas THE PINK ELEPHANTS...

    5 MONTHS AND 26 DAYS.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Typical of Ugandans... We are so good at ignoring the signs even when they are clear and visible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Typical of ugandans... We know how to ignore the signs

    ReplyDelete