Thursday, January 13, 2011

HOPE,...IN UNLIKELY PACKAGING



















The people I admire the most are those that have the courage to stand up against the overwhelming tide of public opinion that is contrary to theirs and say exactly what they think is right...even when it means they’ll lose everything. Today I’m celebrating these kinds of people. What courage! It’s the kind of courage I see when one gay Ugandan comes out to his parents knowing all too well what is at stake, but doing it anyway just so they can be themselves…so that two, three, four gay teens can see that life indeed goes on after coming out, regardless of how they’re viewed after that. So that that gay comedian can see he’ll still be just as funny after coming out…or that gay teacher, or matatu driver.

In what I consider to be a first, FDC presidential candidate, Dr.Kizza Besigye recently proved he falls well under this category. Anyone that can dare to stand up to the wide assumption in Uganda that gay people are a disease that should be wiped out has my respect, especially when the idle, Boda Boda riding, ‘Kikomando’ eating, soccer fanatic crowd will eventually hear about it. When I first heard about this I was actually in shock…I mean, how could it be that a Ugandan political figure, let alone a 2011 presidential candidate just spoke in opposition to that horrendous bill? Not in my Uganda…I never even thought I’d ever hear the words decriminalization and homosexuality in the same sentence while still on Ugandan soil. But Uganda can be full of surprises.

"This is something that is done in the privacy of people's rooms, between consenting adults," says Inter-Party Cooperation presidential candidate Dr. Kizza Besigye, who will challenge President Yoweri Museveni for the third time in the February 18 election.

I’ll give the guy a pass for the privacy of bedrooms bit…I don’t like it when gay relationships are made to appear about sex only. But guess I can let that slide.

My respect and unlimited support also goes out to another great example of the courage that I so admire; the totally awesome teenagers of the Equal Center in Kansas City, USA that staged a die-in at a rally for The Call’s Lou Engle. Kansas City is pretty conservative, I’m told, and he has a lot of power there. There were about 20,000 people at the Lou Engle rally and this group of 40 young people was demonstrating at the event against the hate mongering that Lou Engle and The Call have been doing in Uganda. Many people that attend his rallies have no idea what he has contributed to the anti Gay hysteria here. Like I said before, we are not alone…people out there are standing with us. So I encourage you to dig in deeepaah! and support this insanely cool cause. 
Click here to donate to the Equal Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment