Friday, December 17, 2010

IMPOSTOR?





















So I’m at my favourite day time joint in town and I just got an Email from a gay blogger I respect too much, I have laughed my ass off…I can’t even find it. This is the highlight of my day! I have always absolutely loved how he criticizes and analyzes things on his blog and ability to read deep into situations, but little did I know I’d soon be the victim of this.

The E-mail goes as follows;

Hi *******: 
I have looked at your blog and think the following:
1. You cannot be a teenager
2. Evidence from your blog suggests that you are not in Uganda
3. You are likely not even a black person, let alone a Ugandan
Which brings one to the question: who are you?

While your [very adult] criticism is recognized, I think that writing under the guise of a teenager doesn't help our cause for the obvious implications that one will not go into here. 
Which segues to the other question: Who is this person and what is his/her agenda?
And yes, the ambiguity about your gender is not a mistake; I am not sure whether you are a man or a woman.
Do you want to explain what the true position is?

************* 
http://**************.blogspot.com/



All I can tell you is he’s a gay blogger, period! It’s the first time I’ve gotten an email let alone comment of this sort! I haven’t yet even replied because I don’t know what to make of this. I feel partly flattered, partly surprised and partly offended. Offended because clearly someone out there thinks Ugandan teens are incapable of writing good blogs, or writing at all…well, he’s not alone, because I also think the same, I like to think I’m the only one that even has a blog. If you’re reading this and you write for the New Vision teen section, this may be my chance to tell you………YOU SUCK!

I’d really like to know the things that make me seem un-Ugandan to this person…how exactly do Ugandans write? This is so ironic because here I am fighting to prove I’m from a country that I so desperately want to cut all ties to. Oh, and I’m most likely not a black person? Sounds like one of those High School brats that kept saying because I listen to some alternative, I’m an oreo; black on the outside, but white on the inside. Bullsh*#! Do I really have to fill my blog with “Choka Banange’s” and “Wabula’s” before I’m considered Ugandan? Suddenly I’m reminded of people that always say I don’t seem Ugandan on first sight. I was at the police station sometime back to pick my car that was impounded…Okay, fine it was my Dad’s car, but I got it impounded, and those clueless police officers kept asking me whether I’m from South Africa, I told them Mauritius. As a matter of fact, every time someone called me Ugandan in school, I’d tell them not to call me that…I’d say, I’m just me. Not Ugandan, not African, not Black, not a teenager, just me. Not because I’m ashamed of my country, but because with being called Ugandan, so many other things come to mind that are not necessarily us. For example, I’m not homophobic like most Ugandans. I’m actually gay. To each label; American, European, tall, short, more labels are attached.

On the other hand I’m flattered because someone whose writing I so admire thinks my blog is too seemingly adult. That’s one point for me right? Despite all this I still adore this person, he's pretty awesome I must admit.

I feel like I kinda just started this blog abruptly without introducing myself to you, which I believe has been the cause for the above situation. Major reason for that is I hate introductions; I always want to jump right into things. So here goes:

I’m eighteen, turning nineteen in a week, can’t wait! Both my parents are Ugandan. My Dad’s a lawyer. I finished High School in June this year. And yes, I know the government schools here end in December, but I was in an International school, well, for the last half of high school. I won’t tell you though whether I did the British or American curriculum because I’d risk outing myself (Kampala’s a small place). I’m leaving for University/College next year, though I haven’t quite chosen where, since I was accepted everywhere that I applied. Don’t mean to brag.
Oh, and did I mention I’m gay? That would automatically make me male. So, surprise!, to everyone that thought I was a thirty year old Ugandan lesbian writing about her teen years.

I’ve got to send a reply now.




      

7 comments:

  1. At least now we have a glimpse of who you are. I must say you have wisdom beyond your age. And am positive you would articulate yourself as you do. It just hit me nineteen is teenage.. He he.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Thanx. It still feels weird being 19 and calling myself a teen...
    This shit has also got me wondering what I'll call the blog when I turn 20 in a years time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered too. Really I thought some of the timed replies were dated/stamped with the hours in the U.S.--then I thought, well, I have no idea what precautions need to be taken (so perhaps part of the blog replies are forwarded to a friend who does it for you with your password)...see, I am suspicious but in a good, paranoid yet good, way because I don´t want anyone to slow your joyful existence down...you give us all hope and I wish you well-being each day...onward we go.

    Leonardo Ricardo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, Actually Leo,I post my comments myself. I dnt know abt the timing thing really, i don't care, I don't want to get into the mechanics of timezones.

    But Thanx :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No need to keep the identity of the person who asked you the questions secret. That was me!!

    I wasn't trying to be mean or catty. It should be obvious to any reader, though, that there are implications that go beyond a nice turn of phrase if someone in his teens writes the way you do about gay issues.

    And the most obvious one is that it might play directly into the Bahati mindset that we recruit young people into homosexuality. Or that we encourage the youth to be homosexual.

    I knew I was gay when I was about 9, and I have taken the trouble to explain that I was not recruited. I felt it was important to debunk the notion that AfroGay is an example of gay recruitment. I have always been gay and, given a choice, I don't want to be anything else.

    There might be something to be said for you to put in a similar disclaimer - unless you were recruited which would support Bahati's claims that we are recruiting youths into homosexuality.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from and have thought abt it multiple times.
    You kinda came out of nowhere with alot of wild allegations.
    Perhaps you're not the only one that thinks that anyway.

    We share a mutual concern though...about the gay community, not just Ugandan but generally, and that's where I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GayUgTeen,
    You are a precocious young man - a fact reflected in you train of thoughts and power of expression. With these traits you belong to another minority group. Of course, you come from a privileged background, reflected in your stellar educational credentials. All these, actually, helped you to blossom - in my opinion.
    Don't take it too hard on Afrogay. His reaction comes from having the likes of Bahati et alia, to deal with.
    Don't stop tapping the keys!

    Gay Nigerian

    ReplyDelete